Sunday 2 October 2011

Japan Matsuri London 2011 - Part 2

(the new blogs have a slideshow feature : click on the pictures for a view in the slideshow then click on the URL /blogspot/...etc  at the bottom left to see the picture directly)

After the opening ceremony , I went to look for the Kimono Club (=Gang).
What a lovely surprise , Priscilla's in town again!


On the left : Priscilla. On the right : Hong giving me a thumbs-up. I'm just checking to see how many people I can fit in at this short a distance.

Ah! April arrives with her friend.


The newest gang-member : Kornelia (in the light blue kimono ).

Everybody's getting ready for the group picture , blissfully unaware that I'm already photographing them.

Apparently April, her friend and Kornelia want 2 copies of this picture. I'll take a note of that.


The members of the dance society were wearing really colourful kimonos with very shiny bows.

   

The lady on the right is their sensei (teacher). I remember seeing all of them at the Hyper Japan 2011 (I still have to post those pictures too ! )


We moved over to the other side of County Hall , right next to the Thames.

Everybody's chatting away, while smoke is wafting from a nearby stand.


A mikoshi was being carried around. There was so much security around it I couldn't get a clear shot , till somebody's shoulder gave way and they had to rearrange the bearers.
The procession continues, accompanied by shouts of "wasshoi"

One last group picture and it's goodbye Matsuri. Have fun. We'll meet again at the next one. 

( to be continued : I'll publish the pics from the 2010 Matsuri and Hyper Japan next)

7 comments:

Priscilla said...

Wow thanks for putting them up so fast!!! It was nice seeing you again Walter :) Glad to see you got home safe and sound! ^^

Btw, I hope you don't mind if I take some of these pics to use on my blog?

Walter said...

Hi Priscilla! It was very nice meeting you too, after so long!
Sure , you can use my pictures on your blog (just put in a reference to my blog somewhere).
I'm posting about last year's Matsuri as well ( lots of pictures of kimonos in that one too) this weekend
Cya !

kirin said...

Wow, can they dress kimono by themselves? I'm currently learning how to wear it. It may sound strange to you that a Japanese woman doesn't know how to wear it, but most of us don't know it.

So I'm currently taking 12 lessons to learn how to wear it. It's quite difficult and complicated to me. So I'm surprised they already can do it. ^ ^ Also everything about kimono costs much.

But OK, if I don't give up with the kimono lessons and I have a chance to go to this festival, I'd love to join this kimono club. haha! ^ ^

Walter said...

I'll ask them for tips on buying kimono : unless you want to buy antique kimonos , the price is quite reasonable, I have heard.

Walter said...

Hi Kirin,
read this blogpost http://bangasakimono.blogspot.com/2010/11/few-tips-for-beginner.html
I'm sure you'll find it useful.

kirin said...

Walter, thank you for the link. ^ ^

shigatsuhana said...

Love the photos Walter. :)